Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Wheat and Honey

No, I'm not talking about cooking, the verse later will explain the title
Nothing too out of the ordinary happened today. One friend is back for good, and the other I found out it coming back soon - oh, it is so good to have friends who know and understand you and ones that you don't have to be perfect around. Oh the joy!
Tonight is Ps 81-90...
81.9, 12 - The Israelited were so bad at hearing God, and then most times doing the opposite. God I don't want to be that way. I want to be opposite of the man James describes who sees himself in a mirror and goes away and forgets what he saw just moments earlier. I want to be a doer of the Word. I want to listen to your counsel and not bow to foreign gods - those things (any of the things) that distract me from you.
This is one of the verses that struck me this morning - going along with most of the other psalms...
Ps 81.16
"But he would feed you with the finest of the wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."
How often to dI settle for the cheap stuff when God wants to satisfy me with himself? I settle all the time. Since when does honey come from a rock? But - oh to be satisfied with anything that the Lord offers me - a relationship with himself, friends that I mentioned above - the good things he gives like (but only more so) a father gives gifts to his children.
84.11,12 - From this verse rationally I think I can deduce two things: either I'm not upright (God convict me of the areas of sin in my life) or that the things I desire are not good things (not in and of themselves, but good for me). I wish I could see the end of my life and have that "here's your life" video play and see the outcome. But, Trust - oh there's that lovely word again.
Reminds me of a hymn:
Trust and Obey - The Cyber Hymnal scrolls a verse across - and it happened to be the very one I was just reading. The tears just started coming. I don't like to trust - I like to be dependent - but God only wants me to trust in HIm - not in anything I can do. Then I sang through the verses, but the first time through accidently skipped this one...but came back and sang it and that led me to other hymns (oh, how I love the words)...
But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

Am I satisfied with only the love of my Jesus? The one who bled sweat drops of blood. The one who forsake all of Heaven to come and die for me by His Father's plan and grace for me? Why do I need all other things in life - I should need only Christ.

I started learning this verse when I read it in Piper's prayers (IOUS) that he prays every morning. This is also sorta what MG said her soon-to-be-husband was talking about last week in choir practice. Until we do this, we aren't really living:

Ps 86, 11-12
Teach me your way, O Lord,that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,and I will glorify your name forever.

To finish off the reading tonight - are the verses I used for one of my mission trips this past year, and also one of the other verses that Piper prays (the S in IOUS):

Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

No comments: