Monday, April 06, 2009

Killing Detestable Things

I'm reading through the OT this year with Sojourn (as Pastor Daniel goes through his BC series).
Honestly - Numbers was probably the hardest to read, but great sermons from the book. Leviticus wasn't as bad as I would have thought. And really, I'm getting a ton out of Deuteronomy - (whoda thunk it?).
So here are three thoughts from my readings the past few days (and then I'll get to listen to the sermons this weekend as I drive to B'ham).
1. Deut 17.1 (NLT): "Never sacrifice a sick or defective ox or sheet to the Lord your God, for he detests such things." My question to myself after reading this (knowing I'm not bound by the law because Christ has set me free) - what sick or defective sacrifices do I bring before the Lord? Do I offer him the last of things or the first of things? Do I offer to him things that I really want or half-heartedly give him things that really don't mean that much to me.
2. Dt 20. 16-18 (NLT): "As for the towns of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as a special possession, destroy every living thing in them. You must completely destroy the ... (all the countries), just as the Lord your God has commanded you. This will keep the people of the land from teaching you their detestable customs in the worship of their gods, which would cause you to sin deeply against the Lord your God." Ok - so God hasn't given me lands to conquer or people to slaughter - but he he put me in a world that does some pretty awful things. And I think to myself - those things are good for me. But, what detestable customs have I picked up that I need to kill (better to go into heaven with one eye) so I can live a life more pleasing to the Lord out of a heart of right obedience?
3. Praise Jesus I don't live under the law anymore. I read these and each chapter it seems to be punctuated with "follow and obey all these laws so you will be pleasing to the Lord" - or something about full obedience. My full obedience came in the substition of Christ on the Cross on my behalf, His special possession, special treasure, chosen generation. I am loved by a God who doesn't see my sin anymore to make me right before Him - but sees the crucified and risen Jesus standing in my place. Oh, how sweet the substition of Jesus is on my behalf. And a great thing to think about come Easter this weekend.

No comments: