Monday, January 11, 2010

Sick to My Stomach

Sin. Gotta love it. (Hint sarcasm)
This is where the 3 blogs come together.
I went down to Glendale, KY this past Sunday to hang out with some friends and then listen to my boss speak for an activity at their church.
I had a great breakfast (yogurt, flax seed, pb toast) and then a Clif Nectar bar before church started (I ate early as it was an hour drive). I just didn't want to be starving by lunch. So, we went to a great Mexican place there that I had been to before - so yummy. Ordered a greasy chicken quesadilla with rice/beans and then devoured the chips and salsa (and queso). That was at 1pm.
Sat in a big chair all afternoon, reading, hanging with kiddos, and talking.
4:45pm - Texas Roadhouse - eating with pastors/friends/families before the event. I should have ordered nothing - but I wasn't going to do that. I ordered a single chop (grilled porkchop, so good and moist), salad, and fresh veggies. 1 1/2 of their wonderful yeast rolls. By the time I got about 2 bites into the chop, I just knew I couldn't put anymore in my mouth - no, I did. I ate all but 2 bites of the chop and 3-4 carrots. I looked at the folks around me and just knew I was going to be sick (you know that clammy feeling when you just want to throw up). We got up to leave and I just walked real slow.
By the time we made it to church I was feeling better (I think it was standing up). But, I knew that I had failed again.
I had done no exercise (I chose to sleep in rather than get up and do some yoga). I ate way too much when I wasn't hungry. I ate out of: free food, good food, gratitude for the free food, didn't want to stick out and not eat anything, don't always have chips and salsa, hate leaving food on my plate.
Why do I let my body determine my actions instead of listening to the Spirit and obeying?
Two verses:
1 Cor 6.19-20 "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." I know Paul is mostly talking about sexual immorality, but same applies to eating.
Col 3.17 "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." I was so sick I couldn't give thanks to God for what He had just provided for me. Nope, all I could do was recognize my sin.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I really appreciate this article, Kim. Makes me with that all those times I stuffed my mouth full of "bad" food I had thought about it before I did it. Good scriptures to reflect on. Thank you!!