Thursday, May 29, 2008

Stephen Foster - Suwannee River

I love the Suwannee River. I grew up going there all the time with my Papa (Mom's Dad), he taught me how to drive a boat way before I could drive a car, taught me how to slice potatoes for french fries (and he knew when I cut the peels off too thick by the way they hit the trashcan), got me to eat corned beef has over rice. We went there as a family in the summer, fishing, cane poling, talking with the neighbors (Mr. Cassidy I remember specifically). We only had a radio then (no cell phones, computers, DVDs, CDs) - well, I guess there was a tape player. We listened to Don Williams, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, - ah, the good country. I learned how to scale a fish early on - with many pictures of me and my brother holding them up as trophies. Heading out Munden Creek early on a summer morning - lily pads, bugs (didn't like them then either), then turning that last corner, seeing the dew still sitting on top of the River - man, that is one beautiful site. Seeing the storms come in on the river from the Gulf usually - I love those days. Days were simpler and quieter. To go back to those days would be great - seriously. I think I would give up all technology for a summer just to sit down on the River. And in those days that was before I really appreciated my Savior as the wonderful Creator that He is. I didn't marvel at it then. But, in my mind's eye - I still see those days - so clear to me. He is a wonderful Creator - all things sing His praise!
So, anyway...this weekend - that's where I'm heading. It'll be my parents, me, and Alan and Tywonn. Only our second vacation all together in almost 6 years. Maybe our last for a while too as A/T head to Africa in February. But...for Mom's 60th...we rented a houseboat. We'll start off at the Gulf and head to Fanning Springs, swim, and then turn around. We won't get to do any fishing due to fishing license laws (I never had a fishing license before...) - but, we'll grill, chill, read, play cards, do nothing, watch the River, take pictures.
I can't wait. So, I've been singing this little song for a while now:
Way down upon de Swanee ribber,
Far, far away,
Dere's wha my heart is turning ebber,
Dere's wha de old folks stay.
All up and down de whole creation
Sadly I roam,
Still longing for de old plantation
And for de old folks at home.
Chorus
All de world am sad and dreary,
Ebry where I roam,
Oh! darkies how my heart grows weary,
Far from de old folks at home.
2nd verse
All round de little farm I wandered
When I was young,
Den many happy days I squandered,
Many de songs I sung.
When I was playing wid my brudder
Happy was I
Oh! take me to my kind old mudder,
Dere let me live and die.
Chorus
3rd verse
One little hut amond de bushes,
One dat I love,
Still sadly to my mem'ry rushes,
No matter where I rove
When will I see de bees a humming
All round de comb?
When will I hear de banjo tumming
Down in my good old home?

I'll post pictures when I return...

No comments: