Wednesday, June 10, 2009

God's Good Providence

I read a quote on someone's facebook status yesterday that went something like this. "If we look to God's providence instead of God's promises for the base of our faith - then our faith may crumble." This would be one of these days I'm glad I know the promises of God.
God's providence to us doesn't always come in the way we would want it to come. I'm reminded of William Cowper's quote "behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face".
I rarely take my prayer journal and put it on here, but lately I've been praying very specifically - from a pattern that JD gave us in his sermon when I was there in May. Thanks JD. So, here goes today's entry:
Adoration: You are the good providential God. You are constant and will never change. I can trust in your name. You are my hope and stay and comfort.
Submission: Thank you for the answer. Even though I may not like the answer, I know you are good and your will and answer are always for my good and your greatest glory.
Petition: I ask that my heart be relieved of its heaviness and your goodness and presence heal it.
Recognition: I ask for wrong things. Please take my wrong desires, burn them, remold them into the right desires that are for you.
Gospel: This wish obviously wouldn't bring you the greatest glory. You still have your greatest glory at heart - way behind is my "happiness".
I was reminded through a friend of this Psalm - a song we used to sing at the Summit. I always sing it when I read it in the Word: (Psalm 70.4-5)
"May all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you! May those who love your salvation say evermore, “God is great!” But I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay!"
I am thankful for God's nearness. I am thankful for God's answer. I'm thankful for tears. I'm thankful for friends. I'm thankful for the promises of God. I'm thankful for the Word.

No comments: