Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The SBC 2009

Well, here goes. These are my thoughts and not anyone else's.
Psalm 138: this was my reading this morning. I love how perfect it is for this time and place:
I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart; before the gods I sing your praise; I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased. All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O Lord, for they have heard the words of your mouth, and they shall sing of the ways of the Lord, for great is the glory of the Lord. For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly, but the haughty he knows from afar. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.

1. Pastor's Conference - the ones I heard - rocked! JD Greear, although a sermon I've heard before - was very worth a repeat in this crowd for this purpose. I am very glad to call him my friend and pastor. David Platt - AMAZING! Simply a humble man of God who preaches the Word (knows that is more important) and calls us to Biblical action and love and missions and living out the gospel. I love his church, I love Secret Church, well worth the 6 hour drive from Louisville. Doc Reid - thankful for this man who loves Jesus and loves people. He practices what he preaches. I loved hearing him in class and learning from him because His love for the gospel is so evident.

2. Friends. I've seen many this week. Not all that I have wanted to see. But, many. Former pastors, friends from SEBTS, SWBTS, SBTS. This is the best part about the SBC to me - seeing people who get together once a year - like a reunion.

3. Men of God who stand for Truth. Men like Dr. Mohler, Mark Dever, David Platt, JD Greear, Doc Reid, Dr. Moore, Tom Ascol, Dr. Akin, Nathan Finn. These and many more. When people get up to ridicule them, blame the problems on things that aren't really the problems, little divisive things that don't mean squat...these men rise above it - stand for Biblical truth - and call us to action. May the future of the SBC be first - led by Christ and His love - and second, in human terms - be lead by these men - who love Jesus, the Gospel, the Word, the local church, and the World.

4. Repentance for my attitude. In all of these little nitpicky things that came up yesterday - my attitude stunk about them. I was mad at these things that people call the important things and really are just divisive. My attitude of haughtiness and pride and anger and cynicism was no better than their divisiveness. Jesus - thank you for the Cross that covers my sin and change my heart Lord Jesus to reflect you even in moments like these.

5. There is still more to come today. 150 years of SBTS - being a hostess to the many who will come on campus today. Thankful for men (and their teams) like Dan Dumas and Jeff Dalrymple who have made sure everything goes great today. Another full day at the Convention. David Platt preaching again - can't wait to tune in at 10am for that. But, the most important thing happened yesterday. The GCR passed with a 95-5% vote in favor. I just stuck my fist in the air. I was so excited. Now - the next year - Johnny Hunt will appoint a taskforce to look at some things. Will this bring change to the SBC - yes! Is change needed - most decidedly. Just like in the 80s - before I was in a SBC church - men like Paul Pressler and Paige Patterson stood for the inerrancy of Scripture and the conservative resurgence. Thankful for these men and the men who will lead us for the next odd many years.

6. Thankful for the gospel. Thankful for the SBs of Texas who gave 100k to the IMB yesterday. Thankful that hopefully many more of my friends who want to be SB missionaries will get the chance to because of the changes that will come over the next couple of years. The gospel will go further.

7. Thankful for one young dude from Plano, TX who said "we young Southern Baptists want to live for something bigger than ourselves - and we want to live for something bigger, better, and greater than the SBC." The SBC may go away tomorrow - but the gospel, Jesus, God's Word, and the name of the JESUS CHRIST will never fade away. God is making His glory known - may I be a part of that - and never cause it harm - only by the Grace of God!

No comments: