Thursday, June 05, 2008

eHarmony Radio Commercial

Disclaimer: This is not a blog about my thoughts pertaining to online dating as a whole - just a commercial I heard yesterday on the radio.
Online dating - our tvs are bombarded with commercials and now so are our radio stations. eHarmony is supposedly the "Christian" online dating service. As I was driving out to my friends' house yesterday to do some babysitting - I heard this and really just laughed at it.
The "commentator" came on and said life is so busy, we work, come home, walk the dog, eat something, watch a little television, and go to bed. Who has time do think about dating and finding the right person to date. That's where eHarmony comes in - we take all the guess work, hard work out of it.
Of course I am paraphrasing some, but that was the basic of it. Let me tell you...dating is hard. A friend of mine said "your dating time should be the easiest because it only gets harder." In some ways I agree with that. But, that is not to say that dating isn't tough.
Dating is tough because both people are sinners - both people want their own way. It is tough because we daily fight the battle of sin for purity in a filthy world when it comes to sexual temptations. It is tough because you are trying to discern from God if this is the person you are supposed to spend the rest of your life with - while not trying to put too much pressure on the relationship.
One of the first dating books I read was Josh Harris' I Kissed Dating Goodbye. How do we fit those principles (accountability, the male leadership in every aspect of the relationship, the community of family and the church) in with easy online dating?
Dating - which should lead to marriage - and marriage is a grace gift of God (our loving heavenly Father) to refine us and make us more into the image of His Son. That isn't easy. Not at least while we live in the flesh.

No comments: