Friday, November 02, 2007

Random quotes

Facebook has become a great way to participate in ministry for me.
It also gives space for quotes that you like. I thought I would elaborate on two of the quotes that I have on my page:
"We would do well to meditate...on how prizing God's gracious wisdom, and treasuring his sovereign reign over our circumstances, purifies us from the sin of impatience."
John Piper said this in his book Future Grace. It is definitely one of my favorites of his, short chapters so you can read one day and finish it in a month. I have not done that, but one can if one chooses!
I tend to get impatient with a lot of things in my life. Ministry positions, jobs, friends, relationships, marriage, driving in traffic, standing in line at Wal-Mart. In all of these things - God is sovereign and has a plan. He reigns over our circumstances. He reigns over everything. Impatience is in direct opposition to that knowledge.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but only for want of wonder" -
G K Chesterton wrote that. So many things and people can claim our focus. When really - we are commanded to focus on two things: love God, love people. That's it. God's glory will shine and we (and all of our superficial wonders) will fade in comparison to the brightness of the GLORY.

No comments: