Friday, November 30, 2007

From Valley of Vision

This book is amazing. I'm thankful for Bobby, Phyllis, and Nena who all introduced it to me - so thankful that I've been able to pass it along to my girls too.
Yesterday was a hard day for me, so I went to bed last night just wanting comfort from my Jesus - I found that in Ps 141:8 - mainly but the rest of the Psalm was good:

But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord;in you I seek refuge;

Then, I turned in the Valley of Vision (a book of Puritan prayers):

"That I have erred both on the side of my hopes and also of my fears, that I am unfit to choose for myself for it is not in me to direct my steps. Let the Spirit produce in me wise desires by which I may ask right things, that I shall know thou hearest me. May I seek first thy kingdom and its righteousness, may I value things in relations to eternity, may my spiritual welfare be my chief solicitude. May I be poor, afflicted, despised and have thy blessing, rather than be successful in enterprise, or have more than my heart can wish. May I regard the "world" (however you want to define it) as dreams, lies, vanities, vexation of spirit, and desire to depart from it. And may I seek my happiness in thy favour, image, presence, service."

Also, what hit me with the last two sentences was the end of James 1 - which I've read every day this week and trying to figure out what it would look like in my life: 1.27c - "to keep oneself unstained from the world."

No comments: