Wednesday, December 19, 2007

3 Jobs, 2 Moves, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

This is from some emails I sent out to some this week:

Everybody sing!
I'm saving money this year again by sending out my yearly letter via email (or blog) - since that is how most of us communicate anyway - since stamps keep going up every year. I think that is good money management! :)
This year has definitely been one of changes for me. I started out the year working for Duke, living in Durham, attending the Summit church, loving Carolina. The Gators won the national championship, I went to my first Tarheel bball game, and then the Gators won another national championship.
The end of February I decided to move back home to Lakeland, FL to live with my parents for a while, not knowing how long it would be. I was working for my dad, helping out with the errands and shopping/crafting with my Mom. I loved getting to hang out with my friends in Orlando, Orange City, and St. Augustine. I loved getting to spend some time with my sister-in-law. I found a church in Orange City and plugged in there with the college ministry. I did some ministry with my former church in St. Augustine and got to know those high school girls more - they are great. Financially, it was a smart move as I was able to (graciously) delete some debt.
Orange City is about 90 minutes from Lakeland, so I started to look for a job near there. There was nothing full time - and I didn't want to take a p/t job and get in debt again. So, in early August we (my family and I) decided that I had to find a job and I sent out an email saying "I must have a job - I'll go anywhere and do anything!" - mostly out of desperation. One of my friends received the email and asked me for my resume. The rest is history.
I am now working for in Louisville for an SBC Seminary. I love the people I work for - it is great environment. I have a church up here that is full of very friendly people and am in a great SS class.
I only knew 4 people coming up here. It is great getting to be around them more, I'm grateful for their friendship. I do know other people in other places in KY - so it will be great to see them next semester.
When I first moved here I lived in a dorm. Thankfully - an apt on campus opened so I now have my own place with my own stuff and my own kitchen. I think I got out of the practice of cooking for 3 months - but I love it!
God has been very gracious to me this year - in many ways. It has been extremely hard, but through it all He has remained faithful - to Himself and to His glory - which is the main priority.
Two sets of verses have kept coming to me over the past year:
Ps 84.8-12
O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah Behold our shield, O God; look on the face of your anointed! For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you."

Acts 3.19-20
Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus."

As I've listened to Christmas songs recently (who hasn't), one line stood out to me in Mercy Me's "Little Drummer Boy" - "Then he smiled at me" - may we bring a smile to the face of our incarnate Savior this Christmas and pleasure to our Gracious and Faithful Father.

must love to you all - 2008 will be a year of more change for me, but we'll see the outcome of that come 2009.

blessings - kd

No comments: