Sunday, December 23, 2007

Yay, Lord We Greet Thee...

Christmas songs. Most radio stations start playing them the day after Thanksgiving to get everyone in the mood to spend some money on black Friday. Well, radio stations up here in L-ville started playing them before T-day. I love normal music - I want it back!
But, I try to listen to some of the words - hear the Biblical truth in some of them, like the harmonies.
One line I heard traveling the other day stuck with me:
"Yay, Lord we greet Thee, born this happy morning. Jesus to Thee be all glory given. Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing...o come let us adore Him."
I know Christmas morning (Dec 25) was probably not the day that Jesus was born. But, so often Christmas morning is a time of opening presents and playing with new toys, eating. In FL growing up Dad would get up first, then Mom (her one day a year getting up early), then me, then Alan would eventually get out of bed. We would open gifts in about 10 minutes, each taking turns. Then the day would be over - we would walk usually in shorts and a t-shirt to Granny and Papa's to eat, watch football, go to a movie, etc.
But, have I ever opened my eyes on Christmas morning and said "Jesus - I greet you, born this happy morning."? Nope - maybe that will be a new tradition for me this year...
Happy almost Christmas Eve!

No comments: