Monday, July 23, 2007

reading the word in the mtns

I got some great time this week while at Global camp to spend some time in the Word. I didn't have any strategic reading plan this week - just wanted to take what God was working on me and find something to read re: that.
The two that I sat in most of the week was Ps 34 and Is 44 (in reverse order):

44.8b - Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.
Rocks are strongholds in battle a lot - provide security and stability. Nothing in life (not ministry, marriage, jobs, money, abilities, etc) can be that stronghold.

44.12-17
12 The ironsmith takes a cutting tool and works it over the coals. He fashions it with hammers and works it with his strong arm. He becomes hungry, and his strength fails; he drinks no water and is faint. 13 The carpenter stretches a line; he marks it out with a pencil. He shapes it with planes and marks it with a compass. He shapes it into the figure of a man, with the beauty of a man, to dwell in a house. 14 He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it. 15 Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it. 16 Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, “Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!” 17 And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, “Deliver me, for you are my god!”
The folly and stupidity of making and fashioning fake idols. This is everything in life we put ahead of God - everything. It will burn as rubble.

44.20
20 He feeds on ashes; a deluded heart has led him astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, “Is there not a lie in my right hand?”
What an amazing verse that just powered me this week. Made me question and think. How do ashes taste. Being that I've never tasted any (save maybe on a slightly burnt smore marshmallow) - I don't know. But I would think it would not satisfy and only leave you thirsty for something that does satisfy.
What is a deluded heart? Man - what in contrast to Pr 4.23 - deluded or well spring? Delude means to deceive - coming from the latin to play. We need to constantly filling our minds with something that doesn't deceive (the Word).

44.23
23 Sing, O heavens, for the Lord has done it; shout, O depths of the earth; break forth into singing, O mountains, O forest, and every tree in it! For the Lord has redeemed Jacob, and will be glorified in Israel.
Praise God He has redeemed us by the cross - by His Sovereign Hands.

Ps 34
I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. 3 Oh, magnify the Lord with me,and let us exalt his name together! 4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. 6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. 8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! 9 Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack! 10 The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

All of it - good stuff. No commentary really necessary. Read it and rejoice for the goodness of the Lord.

No comments: