Wednesday, October 08, 2008

State of the Economy

If you watched any of the 2nd Presidential Debate last night you know it was on the failing (and ailing) economy. Did either candidate change the other's view? Did many undecided voters make up their minds? Both are a resounding no. Each one said wrong things about the other one and even when a candidate says he's not going to raise taxes - chances are something will happen in his tenure as President and he will have to raise taxes. Taxes is not something I vote on because of this. So far, living in 3 states under 2 Presidents - I've seen taxes go up in each state - so no one can tell me any differently.
But, the economy I think is the worst that I've seen it since I've really known to look at it. Am I glad I don't have enough money to put in the stock market - yes. Am I glad I already have my college paid for - and yes, have the debt from that - yes. (I could do without the debt though). Am I glad I have a secure job - yes. I don't know what it would have been like to live on Black Friday and know the panic and dread and fear in people's hearts. I don't know what it would be like to live in Iceland right now who just declared the whole country bankrupt. I can't imaging being a business woman in Russia with no stock market open or trading till Friday.
But, one thing I do know. My God is in charge of all the world's monies and even Wall Street and the king's decisions (Ps 2). He knows what is going to happen and has complete authority over it all (Eph 1.19-23). And you know, that helps me sleep better at night, that helps me still go to the grocery store (even though I make a list and stick to it now), helps me not fear the gas prices (even though they have gone down here in KY), and I only had a slight panic this morning on my way to work wondering what would happen if I couldn't get my money out of the bank (but then remembered the above verses and knew that life would go on because my God is overall completely gracious and merciful).
I got in to work this morning and read this from John Piper:
I can smell it. It's like toast or steak or brownies. It doesn't just draw our desire, it creates desire. Deep drops in the stock market make many people salivate. They know it will rebound. They are sitting on cash. By year's end their pile could ride the recovery to riches. For such people I have a word from God. The word is: Don't desire to be rich. It will kill you. And in a world like ours many will probably perish with you. Paul's language is more graphic than mine:
There is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. (1Timothy 6:6-10)

No comments: