Saturday, October 11, 2008

Trip to Huber's





There are some good things about living outside the state of Florida. I know - I did just say that!
But, today was one of those days.
I love fresh produce - and you don't get much fresher than picking apples off of trees in a orchard. I picked 40 lbs of golden delicious (applesauce, pies, bread, fried apples, eating) and 20 lbs of winesap (mainly eating and salads). There were also fields of pumpkins and green beans. There aren't too many apple trees/orchards in FL (though there are plenty in W NC).
I went with my friends Lisa and Rayann. You can see some more pics on the food blog (see the link to the side). We left early this morning and got there by 9 because last week many friends went and said it was way too crowded. We knew if we got there early it would be fine. We didn't do any waiting (unless you count waiting for the tractor to return to get us from the orchards). We then ate at the family restaurant for some good "southern" cooking. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and I loved the weather. It was actually quite warm by the time we left (shortly after 12).
This is my third time at Huber's and I'll keep going. Probably won't go again until spring or early summer - that is when some good things come in! :)

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I can't believe you didn't have a wait! That's awesome! :) Sounds like you gals had a good time. I'm glad you found the pumpkin stand!