Friday, December 05, 2008

Advent 2008.5: Floods and trees

People often laugh at me when I sady I miss hurricane seasons in FL. This year, here in Louisville, we got a taste of Ike that left me w/o power for a week. But, as I stood out in the street in front of my apt on that Sunday morning, watching the wind as it took down trees, I remember even more missing the hurricanes of Florida.
I miss them because I see such amazing awe and strength in the storms that Jesus Himself is commanding. It is often fear-bringing and beautiful at the same time. My Dad will stand out and video as hurricanes come right over our house in central Florida. My brother and I love to sit out on a porch and listen to the rain. I loved living in St. Augustine watching the storms come in off the Atlantic. Breath-taking.
This morning, it was crisp, Carolina-blue skies here in the ville. I was out driving East of town and watched as the sky turned an amazing pink - becaue of the sun - another reminder of the faithfulness of God.
Piper talks about this today - Jesus' command over nature - the very thing He was the agent of creation for. And during Jesus' incarnation here on the earth - many people were witness of that: water into wine, bringing back the dead, calming the storm, miraculous catches of fish. God is so cool to let His Son come to show us and be a display of the almighty power that is in the personhood of the Trinity.
Job 37.9-16a: "From its chamber comes the whirlwind, and cold from the scattering winds. By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast. He loads the thick cloud with moisture; the clouds scatter his lightning. They turn around and around by his guidance, to accomplish all that he commands them on the face of the habitable world. Whether for correction or for his land or for love, he causes it to happen. “Hear this, O Job; stop and consider the wondrous works of God. Do you know how God lays his command upon them and causes the lightning of his cloud to shine? Do you know the balancings of the clouds, the wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge?"
In Christ in Me, the subject was bearing fruit, being close to God. Often when I'm out watching the weather, hiking, being on the beach, in the mountains, experiencing literal storms - that is one way I feel very close to God. I love standing out in the rain and having it just drench me. It is very refreshing. We are definitely more aware of God's presence when we are spending time with him every day - and we are more able to be a light for others when we have been near the LIGHT.
Enjoy the weekend being light, enjoying the cold winter weather - wherever you are - we are supposed to maybe get some snow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that's fine. But I still don't see where the disagrement was over? I never said that Harvin, Demps, James, Nelson, or the twins were mediocre players (anything but mediocre, in fact!), I just don't think that are national championship material. Again, I'm looking at the teams with no personal investment, so I can see where what you're saying is true. However, the news media isn't really talking about the D-line, or any of the other players to the degree in which they talk about Tebow, and this is also evidenced in the write-ups already published about the game. Again, not sure where the disagreement was because I agree with all you say, but I still think that, if take away Tebow you still have a great FL team (because they were #4 in the BCS coming in and you dont get there with JUST one man), just not a "national championship" caliber team. And you're right, "knowledge is good when criticizing a football game" (so is spelling when you criticizing another person's critique, see "criticing"..dont get mad, just playing, seriously!)and I hope that it wasn't an implication of a lack of personal knowledge on a subject. Simply because my personal flavor of universtity wasn't represented doesn't mean my ability to be impartial is impaired. Hope everything's going well at the seminary. Don't get snowed in...we're getting a good bit up here, so stay safe.