Saturday, March 07, 2009

5k and Hebrews 12

All those youth Bible studies or DNOW materials I have taught in the past on endurance, or races, or running - all came to light today.
Today was my first 5k - I did the Anthem 5k here in Louisville, which is the first leg of the Louisville Triple Crown. Sarah and I ran it together. We both wanted to beat our times - we both did.
I wanted to get under 40, and Sarah under 44 - we both stayed together the entire race, pushing each other to keep going (endurance, spurring each other on, encouragement, accountability) and we both made it under 39. They haven't posted the exact times yet - but they will be coming hopefully by the end of the night.
The last 3/4 of a mile or so was straight - but still we couldn't see the finish line. As soon as we did - we were like "we gotta finish strong" - just keep looking at the finish line and keep going.
My playlist was 39.56 or something like that. The last song was "Let the Worshippers Arise" - never would have thought it would have meant so much. Here are the words - I actually got to shut it off before it was finished...
Father I hear it growing louder
The song of your redeemed
As the saints of every nation
Are awakening to sing
From our hearts there comes an anthem
Oh, hear the heavens ring
This is our song, a song to our King!
[Chorus:] [3x]
Let the worshippers arise
Let the sons and the daughters sing
I surrender in my all
I surrender to the King

There were people, folks who came to cheer, runners who had already finished, press, sponsors, etc - all standing on the sideline cheering for those of us who were still running - crossing that finish line. The Scripture that popped into both of our heads (sarah and I talked while getting our bagels):

Heb 12.1-6 (really only the first 2, but then I loved the continuing verses, exactly what God is pressing in on me lately...)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,and chastises every son whom he receives.”

I am now definitely looking forward to the Half Derby I am doing on April 25. Racing can be addictive! I guarantee

2 comments:

In Definition said...

congrats!!! so glad you finished in under 40!!!

lani said...

i'm a little behind on blog responses, but just wanteed to say Good Job!!