Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Heaven According to Chesney, Camp, Paisley, and God

Yesterday - stuck in the Ville/River traffic - I just had the radio on flipping through my pre-set buttons. Got to the Kenny Chesney song "Everybody wants to go to heaven" - flipped it to the Jeremy Camp song "There Will Be A Day" - listened to the rest of that. Then flipped it back to Chesney - ended - commercial - the very next song was Paisley/Parton "When I Get Where I'm Going". What was this - heaven minute on the radio?
But...this is what I was thinking. This is also when I wish I could get blogger to go in 3 columns. Alas - I'm not that talented:
Here are some of the Kenny Chesney lyrics (also used by my pastor in a sermon a few months back):
Don’t you wanna hear him call your name
When you’re standin’ at the pearly gates?
I told the preacher, “Yes I do”
But I hope they don’t call today I ain’t ready
Everybody wants to go to heaven
Have a mansion high above the clouds
Everybody want to go to heaven
But nobody want to go now
Said preacher maybe you didn’t see me
Throw an extra twenty in the plate
There’s one for everything I did last night
And one to get me through today
Here’s a ten to help you remember
Next time you got the good Lord’s ear
Say I’m comin’ but there ain’t no hurry
I’m havin’ fun down here

Here are the lyrics from Jeremy Camp's "There Will Be a Day":
I try to hold on to this world with everything I have
But I feel the weight of what it brings, and the hurt that trys to grab
The many trials that seem to never end,
His word declares this truth, that we will enter in this rest with wonders anew
But I hold on to this hope and the promise that He brings
That there will be a place with no more suffering
There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears
There will be a day when the burdens of this place, will be no more, we’ll see Jesus face to face
I can’t wait until that day where the very one I’ve lived for always
will wipe away the sorrow that I’ve faced
To touch the scars that rescued me from a life of shame and misery this is why this is why I sing….

Then, the Paisley/Partin (or Moore/Nockels) song "When I Get Where I'm Going":
So much pain and so much darkness,in this world we stumble through.
All these questions, I can't answer,so much work to do.
But when I get where I'm going,and I see my Maker's face.
I'll stand forever in the light,of His amazing grace.
Yeah when I get where I'm going,Yeah when I get where I'm going,
there'll be only happy tears.
Hallelujah!I will love and have no fear.When I get where I'm going.

All of these are just tiny glimpses, some true, some not true obviously...but I do know something that is true - that is worth so much more when I think about not knowing much about heaven:
Revelation 21.4
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
Hebrews 8.1
Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven.
2 Peter 3.13
But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
Rev 12:10
And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God.
Rev 19.1
After this I heard what seemed to be the loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, crying out, “Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God.
Rev 21.2
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 15.3
And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, “Great and amazing are your deeds, O Lord God the Almighty! Just and true are your ways, O King of the nations.
1 Cor 13.12
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
Rev 5.9
And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.

When I fear heaven - it is based on the unknown and my works. But, when I rejoice about heaven - it is based on the finished work of Jesus on the cross on my behalf for His glory - and that is what heaven is all about - Him being worshipped.
Not about me riding a drop of rain, or delaying my going so I can party more down here.

2 comments:

Josh Stringer said...

Great post. Have you heard all of Jeremy Camp's new CD? Pretty darn good. Can't say all that much for the other guy.

Beth said...

Good stuff!

Also, check out this website. This guy has a lot of helpful tutorials for how to change your blogger layout. I used his tutorials to make the changes I've made to mine so far. :)

http://lawnys-templates.blogspot.com/search/label/3%20column