Monday, March 31, 2008

Grace for Today

The breezy wonderful weather today allowed for a walk to the retention pond (hey, don't knock it - its the only water I get near the campus). I enjoyed the conversation as well as the wind. In that conversation - I heard the words in the title. God gives us grace for today - his mercies are new every morning.
I am a thinker. That is sometimes to my demise. I read a lot, think a lot, overanalyze a lot, think some more, ponder quite a bit, I am a black/white person with little room for gray, I am a decisive person. All that to say those are good things - but everything in moderation - right?
So...as I've thought today about some things in my life - I got to a point where it had to stop. I realized this...God is still trying to teach me patience. I so need that. I'll never get to a point where I will not need that lesson. Sanctification - daily process.
Here are some verses that I've thought about in light of this new (or old) discovery today:
Lam 3.22-27: But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,“therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietlyfor the salvation of the Lord.
Matthew 6.25-34: “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."
Lillies and birds don't even have the capability of worrying - that is what we are supposed to be like! Did you know that in the ESV worry doesn't even show up in the Bible...
Col 3.12-17 (parts): Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another ...And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments: