Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Borrowed from Touchstone: Blog Decalogue

One of the privileges I have for working for my boss is that I get to peruse many magazines that come across my desk. Touchstone came today. I found this interesting small article in it - I am highlighting from that list. (Found in Touchstone, January February 2009, page 7)

Blog Decalogue: (sort of a list of etiquette for bloggers)
1. You shall not put your blog before your integrity. This is very important. The Proverbs say many times about a good name - how that should be wanted. So many write things on their blogs, or send emails of jokes that aren't appropriate, or the whatnot, that would lead me to believe they are not the people of integrity I thought them to be. I may have inadvertently done the same. If I do, please bring it my attention - I'll remedy the occasion.
2. You shall not make an idol of your blog. I was talking to a friend about this. My question was how in the world do some people have 10k views and they've only been up a short time. I've had mine for almost 4 years now and don't have 1/3 of that. But, you know - how many views I have is not important. I use mine for the reasons I use mine. If God wants to use it for something else - so be it.
3. You shall not misuse your screen name by using your anonymity to sin. If you are going to leave a comment - own up to it at least.
4. Remember the Sabbath day by taking one day off a week from your blog. I don't have this problem - but maybe I should consider this for facebook and email as well.
5. Honor your fellow bloggers above yourself, and do not give undue significance to their mistakes. Humility. Selflessness.
6. You shall not murder someone else's honor, reputation, or feelings. This one is probably the hardest for me - even in what I read. Most blogs are for opinions - and how do you share feelings and opinions w/o hurting someone else's?
7. You shall not use the web to commit or permit adultery in your mind. Wow - another sin that permeates our culture. And you know - it isn't just a problem men struggle with - women struggle with it too. I heard once from a professor that married men struggle with this more than single men. Reason: once you are married you can have sex, but maybe you don't get it as much as you want. Single - its just off limits, so you come to live within those limits. I don't know if I whole heartedly agree.
8. You shall not steal another person's content. Plagiarizing is such a problem. This content is borrowed but I am siting my source. I am giving them credit. None of it is my own. If you are going to borrow or link to other websites - please tell people where you got the information from, don't use this as a way to dishonestly promote yourself.
9. You shall not give false testimony against your fellow blogger. This is the opposite of the above. Don't tell people you read something on so and so's blog if it is not true. I've met a couple of bloggers and they have lived up to their blog. Integrity is very important (see #1).
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's blog ranking; be content with your own content. Somewhat similar to #2. God has given us all gifts and abilities. He will use them for His glory.

If you have a blog - how will you use these ten "tips"?

No comments: