Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sundays, the Body, Pride, and Psalm 12-15

Sunday morning is here.
I love Sundays - really, they are my favorite day of the week.
My pastor has started a series on 1 Corinthians (yes, he is an expository preacher - go figure). Check the link beside here if you want to go listen to his sermons, and I would highly suggest them. Anyway, so I thought for part of my Bible reading today I would read 1 Cor 1. Paul, in speaking to the church at Corinth, starts out about grace - that is what JD preached on last week. This week I assume he'll be in the next section. Paul is talking here about divisions in the church. Before this I just read an article about the local church congregation at Mark Dever's www, www.9marks.com, good read. One of the verses that stood out to me is that an unhealthy or divided congregation hurts the gospel. Listen to Paul: "1.17c - Lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." Now, when churches are grumbling they would never say, "Oh, yeah, I want to hurt the cross, I don't want the world to see its power." But that is what Scripture says. And I will go with what Scripture says above anything else. And no matter how God chooses to grow our congregation and our influence at the Summit in the world and to Durham, let us always abide by 1.31 - "let the man who boasts, boasts in the Lord. And Let no one boast except in the cross - sound like Gal 6.14.
Church...
JD preached on the end of chapter 1, about the wise things of the world. A good thing was that even in all of our smartness - it is all still about God - no matter who the believer is. they didn't get to be a believer because they were smart. One verse that stood out to me was 1.21b - "it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe" - Sounds an awful like Rom 10.14ff. He stepped on a lot of toes this morning...PRIDE. The root of sin - every kind of it - at least for me. When someone else gets the attention and they are looked at as something, then they stole my somethingness and I am nothing. Yes, one of those true but hurting sermons.
Chris started the service by declaring the Truth of Ps 34.1-3 - I will bless the Lord at all time - AT ALL TIMES. Not just when I feel like it or when I'm happy or when things are going my way - but when things are touch and when I'm hurting, sad, too busy, etc. His praises will be continually on my lips - again, what a great song.
Now onto other matters...

Psalm 12-15
12.6 - JD even talked about the Truth and Preaching Worthiness of the Word this morning: "The words of the Lord are pure words...purified seven times."
15.5 - This is of course something I am working on and do not want to continue to live in habitual sin.
15 - This also sounds a lot like Ps 24 - the blameless will dwell in the presence of the Lord.

No comments: