Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Olive Trees and Controversies

In Ps 52, he describes a contrast so clear. Evil - productivitiy from being in God's presence. Which one am I right now and which one do I want to be. What is in it for me to be the first one? Life is so meaningless, unsatisifying with Christ and putting Him first. That is why we have grace - so that we may taste the all-satisfyingness of Christ and not want to go back. Then, we can be like an olive tree.
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever. I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly.
I trust in the God's love.
I am thanksful because of God's actions
I am patient for God's name.

Starting to read in 1 Timothy, too.
3-11
So many times in the church we see controversies (half of which aren't worth their weight in salt) but how many of them don't follow this pattern that we see written to a young pastor. Paul tells him he is going to face them - but he also tells him how to address them: pure heart, good conscience, sincere faith. Most of the time when we are facing controversies we come pridefully, arrogantly, thinking all about ourselves and our cause. I saw this especially at the SBC this past summer and all the things surrounding it. Guarantee some of those men did not speak out of a pure heart - but one of vendetta, revenge, pride, just to hear themselves speak, on a soapbox, etc.

No comments: