Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Intimacy with Jesus and Powerful Hymns

Today's chapel was very good. The preaching, but I stuck mostly on the call to worship verses that were read. Kinda get a verse stuck in your head - then you go with that. All the music fit in with it as well.
The verse was right after a very familiar passage, but I don't think I've ever concentrated on these verses before:
John 10.14-15
"I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father..."

If I call myself a follower of Jesus - than I am one of his sheep (as this passage calls me). Then I am supposed to know Jesus and be known by Jesus just as the Father knows the Son and vice versa. Think about that - what does that entail?

Jesus was one with the Father.
Jesus took time to spend with the Father.
Jesus talked with the Father.
Jesus listened to the Father.
Jesus knew the Father's Words (the OT).
Jesus went about the work that His Father gave Him to do.
Jesus didn't grumble and complain b.c his Father gave him something to do.
Jesus told others about the One whom He was so close to.
Jesus put his relationship with His Father above all else.
Jesus was obedient to the Father above all.

Now, what does that look like for me?
Am I one with Jesus? Do I know his heart and his passions and his wants and desires for my life? Do I talk with Jesus as often as Jesus did the Father? Do I know the Words of Scripture as completely as Jesus did? Am I always about the work of Jesus here on this earth?
Do I put my relationship with Him above all else?

Lately - I would have to say I'm intimate with my computer, Facebook, ESPN, my Sodoku book, James MacDonald sermons, JD Greear sermons, iTunes. While those aren't bad things in and of themselves - if they take the priority space - than they become a distraction - slothful as JD preached a few weeks ago.

Here are the songs we sang today: (it wasn't as good as ABC's version on the GO Cd, but still the song was good.
"Come Thou Fount" -
O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

"Before the Throne of God Above" ( I love this one - Hebrews all wrapped in a song)
Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

"In Christ Alone" - not as good as the Summit or Faith, but again, the song kept its meaning:
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost it's grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Brought with the precious blood of Christ
No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

No comments: