Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The X Factor

I've been in a thinking and writing mood - so that is what brings about so many blogs.
The X Factor (not talking about high school math) - the Unknown Factor...why does it scare me so...why are so many people afraid of it...
I wanna talk about why so many are afraid of the unknown - fearing a life that can be any different than the one they are living now. What if God really worked in the way they wanted Him to? What if God worked in the way that I really wanted Him to?
Trust. Faith. No Fear. Reliance. Faithful. Sovereign.
So, on the ipod right now I've got songs that have to do with trust, faithful, etc. Some of them are the same songs (Tis So Sweet) and then some just have the same themes.
Smalltown Poets, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, etc...
I want to trust in a God so big that He is able to fulfill all my desires just as I would want them. That means that my will must be lost in His - I must be dead.
Let me give up myself, my heart, my desires and trust in a God that has the BIGGER PICTURE in His sight - His Glory.
But, tonight I don't want to use God's glory or His Sovereignty as a cop-out. Please don't hear that. I want to be able to pour out my willing heart to a God who loves me infinitely more than I could ever love Him back.
How God is going to work in our lives though is still an unknown factor. Think of Abraham leaving his land. Think of Moses passing through the Red Sea on dry ground (not even soggy). Think of Paul going to Rome. Think of John the isle of Patmos. Think of Isaiah going to a people who weren't even really going to hear what he had to say. Think of David facing Goliath - not knowing for sure if that rock was going to hit him with enough force.
I just read this on CJ's blog from an Ed Welch book: (Running Scared)
With this in mind, his words should sound attractive, and we should be more and more inclined to listen. We should still like to abolish anxieties quickly, but we are learning that God values strong foundations and gradual growth, and such foundations are established as we feed on him and his words. As we meditate on Scripture and make it our own, we should anticipate slow but steady change. Worriers should be experts in a handful of passages. (p. 147)
How I've proved him over and over - lyrics from Tis So Sweet - Precious Jesus - give me grace to trust you more.
Ps 37.5, 7a: Commit your way to the Lord;trust in him, and he will act. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him. He will act - that is a promise!
Ps 40.4a: Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust!
Ps 56.3-4: When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?
Ps 62.8: Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah
*****Ps 143.7-8: Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Is 12.2-6: Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song,and he has become my salvation.” With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day: “Give thanks to the Lord,call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted. “Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth. Shout, and sing for joy, O inhabitant of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel!"
*****Dt 7.9: Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
Is 25.1: O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you; I will praise your name, for you have done wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful and sure.

Its not that my trust is so great - because I cry out - Jesus, help my unbelief and my uncertainty - but that my trust is in a GREAT SAVIOR - one who is eternally faithful and true to Himself - and He can NOT change!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I've been reading your blog entries for a while now and I just wanted to say that they always inspire me to read more scripture and to really love it. So thank you! :)

kd said...

Hey Emily! Thanks for reading. That is a goal - get the Word into more lives! He is so good to me! I love His word more and more - it is so vital to life!
Hope you are doing very well.

kd said...

Hey Emily! Thanks for reading. That is a goal - get the Word into more lives! He is so good to me! I love His word more and more - it is so vital to life!
Hope you are doing very well.