Thursday, June 07, 2007

Consumed

This topic came up on Sunday during one of the worship songs we did at church - I don't even remember what it was right now, but there was that word "consuming" or "consumed". What is it? My pastor even noticed that I didn't take any sermon notes that day - but I took music notes. (and no, it wasn't Third Day's Consuming Fire, although that is a great song)

1. What would it look like to live Dt 4.23-24 24/7?
2. What does it mean for God to be a jealous God?
3. How do I live "consumed"?

So, I went to the back of my ESV Bible and looked at other Scriptures that talk about consumed...

Ex 15.7 - "In the greatness of your majesty you overthrow your adversaries; you sent out your fury; it consumed them like stubble." - the Majesty of God is consuming. We always ask God to show us His glory, let us see your glory - we would be dead, we would be blind, we would be nothing - his presence is consuming.

Ex 32.10 - "Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them, in order that I may make a great nation of you." - God wants his people for Himself and He will do anything to make His glory great.

Josh 24.20 - "If you forsake the Lord and serve foreign gods, then He will turn and do you harm and consume you, after having done you good." - This is a good verse to tie in to Dt 4.23-24.

Many other verses, both O and NT say the same things about this. It comes down to this: our God is a jealous God - jealous for His glory, His fame, His renown - He will not let anything compete with it. He wants it out of our lives - the foreign gods that compete with His glory. We are not consumed b/c of the grace of God - the Jesus factor in our lives. All of this - the Jesus factor - was completed for God's glory - that He would get the most fame and renown in all the world for all generations in all people groups.

So, again...what would a totally consumed life look like - "a living sacrifice" (Rom 12)

Now, back to Ps 119 tomorrow! Even as I was reading another blog in follow up to mine the other day - the first thing in the morning, spending time with God - same thing we should do with our checks - God first.

No comments: