Friday, June 08, 2007

Ps 19

"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart. The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever. The judgments of the Lord are true & righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, sweeter also than honey."(Psalm 19:7-10; New King James Version)

I remember sitting at Lolley's kitchen table on a Monday night my first full year of seminary. Dr. Nelson made us memorize this passage for our Theology class. I waited until the last minute to cram it in my brain, just to go write it down quickly on a piece of paper. But, God has grown me the last almost 7 years to love HIS WORD MORE (only by grace). I love this passage of Scripture. Even as I sit here thinking today about things in life - this passage is all the more sweet. Thank you Dr. Nelson...I did learn something from your class!

Law...Perfect...Converting the Soul
Testimony...sure...wise the simple
statutes...right...rejoicing the heart
commandment...pure...enlightening the eyes
fear...clean...enduring forever
judgments...true and righteous altogether

I like all of these statements and outcomes, but there are some that hit me more than others. Today is no exception.
The Testimony (what I think is what the Lord says about Himself) is sure (a sure thing, we can bank on it) - and that makes us wise by God's standards, not the world's standards. That will make us be able to make decisions based not on circumstance but by the precision and surety of God.
I should find JOY in weeping because I have the RIGHT statutes of God. That should be where I fnd my joy - not in circumstances, or the lack thereof.
Even when our desires are not pure and they are not clean and of God - we know that HIS commandments are pure - and they take the film of sin away - and enlighten us to truly living by the Spirit.

Now...just to live by that.

No comments: