Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Lo He Comes with Clouds Descending

Wow - what a fast paced crazy two days. Prayer meeting last night was great: no sound, humorous baptisms (if you need more info, just ask), sound, God-stories, way too many things to do in an hour, one young lady got sick - had to call the ambulance, then one of the babies got sick, and I had to drive her home, then I found out I would be teaching Bible study tonight - so I get to prepare something I'm not even prepared to prepare...
Then today, preparing..., haven't felt well, came home, prepared...as much as I can...now, I need to sit in the truth.
C K Chesterton (theologian) wrote: "Orthodoxy is not only true, but it is infinitely more interesting than heresy. It is alive and compelling and life-changing. Heresies come and go by fashion. The truth is unchanging and unchangeable."
The Davinci Code - fiction but also will be a heretical act of fiction for hopefully all Christians who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible. And, is that a doctrine that must be held to to be a Christian? I have to still think about that one. Anyway, Gospel of Judas, Davinci Code, The Last Temptation of Christ, the Quest for the Historical Jesus...all these things...
But, we still have the Bible. Praise God. It is truth. If you want to hear more about this, go click on the Summit to the right, and hear JD's sermons on them. He is good. Unfortunately, flights are not so predictable, so I'll be teaching our last Bible study tonight instead of him. Sorry girls.
So, the hymn for today..."Lo He Comes with Clouds Descending"
I first heard this hymn (with slight change in melody) when I was attending FBC in Youngsville before coming to the Summit (great move). It turned out to be one of my fave songs we did there. I always looked forward to singing it.
John Cennick wrote this in the late 1700s. He was a moravian teacher who knew the Wesleys. Charles Wesley worked on this hymn as well. So, as before, what does this Hymn say about God and then what is my response:

Theology (or in this case - Christology)
He became a man (Phil 2, John 1)
He died once for all sinners (Rom 5)
He is adored by saints (Rev 4, 5)
He is coming to earth again to reign - (Rev - the end)
Every eye will see him (Phil 2)
He was crucified on a tree (all the gospels, and 1 Cor 15)
He is coming to get His children (1 Thess 4, Matt 24)
He is the adored one (Phil 2.11)
His throne is eternal
He has all power and glory (Rev 4, 5)
God is everlasting (Gen 1.1)

What is my response to this great news:
Don't reject Him, He is coming, be prepared, tell others. (in a nutshell)

My fave line: (boy this is tough). I am singing it in my head. This is phenom hymn.

"Oh come quickly, oh come quickly, everlasting God come down."

No comments: