Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Prepositions for times of trust

This has been a day in learning trust. Read Ps 28 today and will get to that later. But, after prompting from a friend's email, I read the story of Rebekah's little act of deception to her husband and her sons' birthright. This is an excerpt from her email to me this morning.

But praise the Lord that He is before all things and in Him all things hold together! That includes our marital status. I think that we are usually okay with being single (of course the desire still being there just not the burden of being single) when there is not a man to have our focus on. As soon as a man is in the picture, our contentment waivers and we long for that which God has not given us yet. And many times in that time we are willing to compromise, all for what?: vain pursuit of a fantasy. Our minds make the situation work. But the grace of God prevails and we are spared from ourselves and the mess we desire to make, with good intentions, of course. We end up being like Rebekah. She knew God said that the younger child would rule over the older. When Isaac was about to die and thus wanted to bless Esau, Rebekah took matters into her own hands and deceived her husband and lead Jacob into deceit as well. Why? Because she took a promise of God into her own hands and believed that she had to accomplish that which He began. May we not be so proud or distrusting of the Lord to believe that we can accomplish by our own hands what God desires to accomplish with us

I learned from reading Rebekah's story - that she knew the promise of God (the the younger would rule the elder), but yet - she didn't want to wait for God to bring it to her. She wanted to go out and achieve it herself. So God allowed the deception to take place. How often do I try to get God's blessing for myself instead of waiting and trusting in Him to bring it in His perfect timing.

What I read in Ps 28 today also went along with that.
7-9
The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. 8 The Lord is the strength of his people; He is the saving refuge of his anointed. 9 Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

God has said He is my strength and shield. I can put ALL my trust in Him (for everything). I can rest in His help. My heart can exult (praise) in Him. I can sing to Him (which I do). He is the saving shelter (for David this was very important as a warrior king). He will bless His heritage. He will guide us (to our husband or next life challenge). He will carry us (I think of that way overused poem - Footprints in the Sand).

Valley of Vision - prayers of the puritans (new CD coming in August) is where this next part comes from: (an excerpt from pg 59 for those who have the book)
Thou Creator, Upholder, Proprietor of all things, I cannot escape from thy presence or control, nor do I desire to do so. My privilege is to be under the agency of omnipotence, righteousness, wisdom, patience, mercy, grace. I adore thy wisdom, stand in awe of thy power, abase myself before thy purity. For there are exceeding riches in they kindness through Jesus. Let thy restored joy be my strength. May it keep me from lusting after the world.

And now, one of my fave Bible passages (of course its in Romans): i did a study on this passage for one of my many Dr. Nelson classes at seminary - I loved it.
Rom 11.33-36
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
34 For who has known the mind of the Lord,or who has been his counselor? 35 Or who has given a gift him thathat he might be repaid?
36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

No comments: