Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Discipline: The Glad Surrender - Elisabeth Elliot

This book is a perfect glimpse into the personality and speaking mind of Elisabeth Elliot. I hold her in high respect - all for the grace of God that has been poured into her life: through suffering, missions, love, work, loss, etc.
I borrowed this book - so that means I couldn't write in it, so I copied down some of the quotes that I really enjoyed in it (enjoyed is a term I use "sarcastically" when it comes to discipline).
Before I started reading it today, I wrote at the top of my paper "conviction without repentance". I asked a friend what that leads to - but I answered my own question: a heart of stone. That is not something I want. Lord - give me a heart of flesh as only you can do.
She did an overview then hit on a sampling of areas of discipline we needed:
"They were furious at Moses for getting them into this mess." - p 35 - Speaking of the Israelites as they wandered through the wilderness before entering into the Promised Land. We are the only ones who get ourselves into sin - no one else. Sin is our choice.
"When the will of man acts in accord with the will of God - that is faith. When the will of man acts in opposition to the will of God, that is unbelief." p 36
"He knows what he is doing, and all you need to do is follow directions. You do not rebel at his telling you what to do. you are glad to be told. He knows more than you do, knows the best way to accomplish what you want to accomplish. You are sure you will be better off with Him than without Him, happier by obeying than by disobeying." 38
TIME
"His timing is always perfect, though it seldom seems it at the time, for my temperament longs for a preview of the coming attractions." p 101 - Oh, this is oft where I live, but I'm trying to live more in Hab 2.2-4 - waiting.
POSSESSIONS
For me, I love books. I do lend them out, but I would love to get them back. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get upset and try to fuss with the person to give them back. But, recently, I've realized (that along with all my stuff) - they are the Lord's. And the other person might need the book (or whatever) more than I do.
WORK
"It is the one for whom a job is done who gives it meaning" p 131 I know she is meaning that we must work for the glory of God in all we do. But, I also love the men I work for. They are great and humble men of God. That is the main reason why I love my job!
FEELINGS
This is also a place I struggle with. But, I loved this quote
"Discipline feelings, not get rid of them. Rather bring them under control" - p 147
"What I ought to do and what I feel like doing are seldom the same thing." - p 149
BODY
"It is a good thing, it seems to me, to learn to do with less." p 47
"To offer my body to the Lord as a living sacrifice includes my unfulfilled longings." p 54
MIND
"A simple and orderly life represents a clean and orderly mind." - p 57
"The Holy Spirit re-minded me." p 67 - How we need our minds to be reprogrammed out of the world.
"On masculinity and femininity, how many discussions about roles, equality, and personhood would grind to a halt if sexuality were seen not as a biological question but as a theological one, a glorious mystery of two complementary beings who bear the image of the invisible God." p 72
PLACE
Dr. Patterson would always tell us that we must call professors at Southeastern as Doctors (if they had one). She talks about honor and respect in this. Before I read the chapter I couldn't figure out what she meant by place, but now I know.
"The submissiveness of a wife to her husband is the appropriate form of honor that she pays him." p 88 Immediately, in my flesh, I thought - yeah - if he deserves it. But, then that is how the world thinks to - we must think differently. The Bible doesn't say respect your husband if he is worthy of respect. No, it says wives, respect your husband. Now, the Bible also tells us to be mindful of the men we choose to marry. I want a man who I can respect. I love working for men I respect. I love having men in my life who I respect. Thank you for showing me what it means to respect. May God so grant.

This book is a tough one to read if one reads it with a pliable heart. This is Elisabeth Elliot in some of her finest work.

No comments: