Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ps 73 and Rain

On days like today, I must take every though captive and remember God's faithfulness. There is no sun today, only wind and rain. I think it is supposed to be like this all day - and then really like this till the weekend. I am very big on SUN! :) Of course, I do love the sunshine state! I love it, it makes me smile and feel warm. But, on days like today, if it were possible...I would go lie down somewhere and just let the rain fall on me. I love the rain - really I do. I love walking in the rain (as long I don't have to look decent when I arrive where I am going).
But, I've already been dwelling on this Psalm this morning. Ps 73 (really 1, 23-28)
Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you. But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.
Every time I think upon this Psalm I get something new (His Word is alive and active), and I am amazed at the mercy of God. The middle part of the Psalm that I left out contains information about the ungodly. Only by God's grace am I saved - his mercy endures forever!
1. Truly God is good. He is - I can bank on it! I love the assurance that I have in that. It may not always be the good I see and want - but God is good - I know His Good is better than my good.
2. God guides me with His (good) counsel. I love that. As long as I seek the face and wisdom of God - I can't go wrong. He is so good and He guides me. I will not be led astray.
3. This is where conviction comes in - NOTHING do I desire besides my God. He is the good that I yearn for, the closeness I crave - He is all that. I presume on his grace if I let other things come in between and become a desire of mine. Lord - take those away!
4. Even on rainy days (both literally and figuratively) I dwell on this verse - the last one. It is one of my favorite in all of Scripture, and definitely of the psalms. But for me (in contrast to the unfaithful and the far and perishing), it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge (not in anything else that I can create or conjure up), that I may tell of all your works. (I really love this last part this morning - that I may TELL of all your works. It isn't mainly or necessarily for my good, or my ease, or comfort, or well-being - but primarily it is for the fame and reknown of God!)
Anyway, I hope my ramblings are good for someone besides me today.

No comments: