Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday thoughts

These are my Sunday thoughts. I love no matter what church you go to (as long as it is a Bible-believing church) - you can get TRUTH. Whether it is in the songs or the preaching - Truth is found because Jesus is exalted.
These are just some of mine today:
Proverbs 3.1-8. We often only hear and like 5,6 because those are the "feel good" verses. But, take a look at the whole section:
My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.

Here are the commands in these verses:

1. Don't forget my teaching
2. Keep my commandments (even in your heart)
3. Don't forsake love and faithfulness (only God's perfect love is steadfast)
4. Live by those things found in #3.
5. Trust in the Lord - with everything you are.
6. Don't think you know it all.
7. Acknowledge God in everything - on every decision.
8. Don't think you are wise in and of yourself.
9. Fear the Lord
10. Turn away from evil.

Now - here are the promises:

1. Your days will prosper and you will have peace. I often think of this promise and how it applied to people like Jim Elliot and his 4 friends? I know the Word of the Lord to be true.
2. Favor and good will be to you from both God and man.
3. We will have straight paths (not like the Rascal Flatts song - God Bless the Broken Road)
4. This will be healing and refreshment to us. How sin often weighs us down and makes us miserable.

Habakkuk 2.2-4 (Pastor Bill has been in Habakkuk) I loved this verse - reading it this morning before church - on patience and the faithful:
And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it. For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. Behold, his soul is puffed up; it is not upright within him, but the righteous shall live by his faith"

God - create in me a patient heart - one who wants your best and nothing less. Let me live by faith and not by my own hand or thoughts. Give me the vision you want for my life: let me wait for it - patiently - pursuing You, faithfully.

Two songs:

There is a line in Before the Throne of God Above that smacked me across the face this morning: "Because the sinless Savior died my sinful soul is counted free For God the Just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me To look on Him and pardon me." God saw - in His infinite wisdom and power - that Jesus should take my place. I need never to be enslaved to sin again - I am free and saved and bent for eternal life of praising the Risen Jesus - because God looked upon the perfect sinless Son to take my place. Amazing...and found in no other world religion. As JD says it - "Christianity is not D-O, it is D-O-N-E."

Then, one that is on the radio, sung by a friend of mine from high school:

"All Because of Jesus" - Fee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmdylCFUBs8 - you can click here and watch him lead the song at 722 in North Atlanta. I loved this guy in high school - he was so nice and sincere and a friend - and I love seeing how our Big God is using his gifts to draw people to Himself.


No comments: