Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Delighting and Focusing

Its been a cool day here in central Florida with winds and drizzle - but then I loved looking at the dark clouds (that didn't amount to anything) that hovered over my granny's house.
This morning I awoke and read Ps 1 and Pr 20. Great way to start the day by meditating on Scripture. Then tonight I took a pilates (more or less) class at the gym and am going to read Heb 12. There are two words that came out of these two passages that I want to hit on right now:
DELIGHTING:
Ps 1.2: But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night."
Beside the passage in my NAS Bible I have written "What would this look like?" Well - everytime I look at this passage I ask myself that. What would it look like for my life to reflect a delighting in the Word of God? Not a delighting in sports, food, cooking, money, guys, exercising, knowledge, anything. But, delighting in the LAW of GOD. But...what is the "reward" for that meditating, for that delighting?..."He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season, and its leaf does not wither, and in whatever he does, he prospers."
Delight: (from m-w.com) from the word allure (we use that often times in romantic terms) and it says "to take great pleasure" - there are many things I take great pleasure in, but would I count the WORD, the LAW of the LORD as one of them. Often times we come to it as a sense of duty (not as Piper talks about the Dangerous Duty of Delight ) but a drudgery task that we must do because we are Christians. That is not delight. Pray the Lord of Joy and Wonder and Knowledge would give you JOY to wake up each morning and take delight in His Word. And meditate on it day and night.

FOCUSING
Next word, I thought about this during my pilates class. One of the stances in pilates or yoga or whatever is called the Tree. you stand on one foot and put the other flat foot on the inside of your thigh and stand there with your arms raised - and balance. Well, for me to do that, I was looking at the back of the girl in front of me. She did it pretty well. If she began to fall, I would think pridefully I'm not falling, then begin to fall (pride comes before a fall), then think and focus again and get back on track. I thought of the verse in Heb 12
"fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of of faith..."
These two verse (1, 2) are so powerful. These are just glimpses:
1. There are some who have gone before us and are experiencing Heaven and the presence of Jesus.
2. Sin entangles and weighs us down (that's why we need to lay it aside). It is a hindrance. It so easily entangles us. Sin can have a hold on us quicker than anything. Many of you will know what I'm talking about.
3. Running takes endurance - it isn't for a short time.
4. God knows the race we are going to run - it was set out before us.
5. Running is better when we fix our eyes on Jesus (when we focus on Jesus)
6. He gives and perfects (regenerates and sanctifies) our faith - it is a gift.
7. His joy drove Him to the cross - and he endured it.
8. He's at God's right hand.

All this in two verses. Great stuff. Focus - on Jesus. He perfects us (we don't need to keep our eyes on ourselves so we cna help ourselves). He knows our race. We don't need to wonder, we don't need to wander. We need to be obedient. Tonight I was thinking about the little song I learned growing up:
O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E, obedience is the very best way to show that you believe.
Does the world see that you believe? Are you living for yourself and the moment and running with endurance the race set before you (I'm listing to the most recent JD sermon right now).

Run! Obey! Focus! Delight! (These are verbs!)

No comments: