Sunday, July 30, 2006

Come Thou Fount and Honest Urgency

There is no use in sitting in Barnes & Nobles trying to read a book (even a Piper one) when you have too much on the brain. But, let's start over...
I was driving down Capital this morning - way late for church - turned onto Burlington Mills and figured I had missed the music. So, I just prayed that the music I was listening to (hillsongs) would be my worship and get me ready for the preaching of the Word. Well, when I got to Rccc they hadn't even started - I was so excited.
Chad - their 3rd service music guy - could go be Chris Tomlin or Charlie Hall or any other lead worshipper megastar these days. God's gifted him on the instruments (piano and guitar) and vocally. We started with Come Thou Fount (well, I thought for sure the writer had to be a puritan - but probably not - a methodist and baptist preacher instead). I love these lines:
"tune my heart" - Pianos and guitars are great unless they are out of tune. The more you let a piano get out of tune - the more expensive it is to fix it. Take my granny's - horribly out of tune, its probably not even worth tuning now. For God to tune your heart is probably much less painful if it is a daily process than a once a year process.
"call for songs of loudest praise" Well, football season is almost upon us. I'm so excited. We shout and cheer for the best (or our fave) team (especially me even if no one is in the house to hear me). How often do I shout in glory of the grace of God?
"interposed his precious blood" - in my behalf - when a stranger (Romans clearly states that) - As Shane and Shane say - in a cross that had little to do with us, the Father of lights bruised His Son.
"oh to grace how great a debtor" - More than money - grace keeps me alive. Grace allows me one more breath - Grace is a much needed "additive" to my life.
"Here's my heart, o take and seal it" - Prov 4.23 - How hard that is though. We let so many little - or big things - get in our way - taking first place in our heart, or just making our relationship with God slip a little. But, Jesus - make you first in my heart - make you first in my thoughts when I wake - last when I go to bed.
"oh that day when freed from sinning" - reminds me of one of my fave S&S songs I've mentioned on here before - Waging War. The only time when i will be free of sin - or the want to sin - is in heaven when I stand before the throne of God and look to Jesus as my hope and Grace of eternity.
Ps 25 - my reading for today...
Just what I needed - the power of the Word to speak right where I am...
Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. 5 Lead me in your truth and teach me,for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.
Sometimes (especially now) I feel like I am waiting all the day long as the Psalmist says. Trusting and waiting is not often the game I like to play - but God demands it.
Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. 9 He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. 10 All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
All that humbling last week must not have taken root - keep doing it - no matter how painful. I want to learn your way - the only way is humility (Phil 2)
Who is the man who fears the Lord?Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose
I say it is always about choices. But, the fear of the Lord would remind me that God holds those decisions in His hand - He knows - He is sovereign. That is the rewarding thought as I struggle to know the future...He is Sovereign. Oh, Lord, please show me those answers - and I would rather sooner than later! But - your timing is perfect
The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant
We sang also this morning Darrell Evans' song "Your Love is Extravagant". One of the lines says "your friendship, intimate". This would go along with this verse...it actually says (down in the little notes) - the secret counsel of the Lord - friendship, intimacy - with the God of the universe comes fear first...Oh, to know the fear of the Lord (and get wisdom). I think this is what God is trying to tell me when I start planning - wait Kim, remember to fear me and know that my plan is best - and you'll get wisdom - you'll get my secret counsel - you'll get my friendship.
May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you
May these two things define me as I wait in honest urgency for you to speak...

No comments: