Thursday, July 27, 2006

Fruit of many kinds


Fruit...ah, it is good stuff. I've been eating tons of it lately...Fuji apples, bananas, blueberries, cherries, applesauce, tomatoes (fruit or veggie?). This is a friend of mine, King (who just got married), in indo eating a coconut - actually drinking coconut milk. i have a picture of me doing it (not my fave thing) but not digital - just hard copy.
But, this quote I saw on Justin Taylor's blog is not the good side of "fruit" I want to be eating...
"Every act of sin is a fruit of being weary of God." John Owen, Indwelling Sin, chapter 4
How absolutely true is that. Because if we were completely satisfied with God - we wouldn't sin. Adam and Eve sinned in the garden when they weren't satisfied with God and wanted to be smarter and know more things and they wanted that darn fruit. Don't get tired of God.
Now, onto to today's reading. The most famous psalm in the world - known by most people - if people ever attend funerals - they here this. Ps 23.
I went into it wondering what I could get from it - because I knew it. But, the Word is powerful once again - go figure.
The two sections that stood out to me were:
He leads me beside still waters. 3 He restores my soul.He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
He is leading me right now beside quiet or still waters - very quiet time in my life and I'm rather enjoying it. He is using this time to restore me - to make me satisfied and whole in Him and not dependent on everything I DO for Him to make me right before Him. He is making me aware of sin - therefore leading me in paths of righteousness - but not for me, FOR HIS GLORY! Have you noticed that a lot (ok - all) the things that happen in Scripture is done for the glory of God. I guess that is what Rom 11.32-33 mean!
Also,
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.
I heard JD say once that this means that it will haunt me or pursue me hard all the days of my life. I'm very glad for that - because I wouldn't last a day without the grace of God - actually the steadfast love - the covenental love of God. He better not let up!
I was sharing that with a friend today - I hope that helped her maybe get a better view of who God is - and He will use it for His glory in her life. Oh, God keep pursuing her - don't let up - grace, haunt her till she comes to put her faith in You!

No comments: