Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Something comparitively Worthless

Which tree would I rather be like - A) one with no leaves in the winter, lifeless or B) one is strong enough to weather the storms (or the fog)

Down day at work - not much going on. I was tired anyway from staying out late last night and partying (no more doing that on a school night). Really though - having a schedule the past couple of weeks really does help - imagine that - discipline - helping?
So, now that I've read the Psalms through...I'm going to go back and take them one at a time. I definitely won't finish it in 15 days, but 5 months will be about it. But, oh, how rich of an understanding I will have of them. God - impart not only knowledge, but let me grow in satisfaction in your Word, and delight in them.
Ps 1
Comparing the blessed life to the wicked life. how many sermons and Bible studies and "health, wealth, prosperity gospel" videos have been done on this psalm? Way too many! Even though I know this Psalm pretty well, there were still things I learned today as I read and studied it.
Chaff - something comparitively worthless. I don't want to be like that. Almost everywhere in Scripture that chaff is mentioned - it talks about it being blown away by the wind or burned up in an unquenchable fire.
Is 5.24 is a great side-bar reference for this first psalm:

"Therefore, as the tongue of fire devours the stubble,and as dry grass sinks down in the flame,so their root will be as rottenness,and their blossom go up like dust;for they have rejected the law of the Lord of hosts,and have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel"

Wouldn't I want to be prosperous - bearing fruit in all I do? What does it take: meditating (as Rick Langston says - talk to yourself about it all day long) - listening to it, obeying it, taking great delight and joy in it, getting complete satisfaction from it, knowing that it is the voice of God (in written form).

Speaking of this though....good post on www.challies.com today about being a Bible-worshipper, then I read again the Frank Page (new SBC president) comment "I believe the Bible to be true, I'm just not mad about it." Shouldn't we take the Bible serious (FP does do that)? Shouldn't we be upset about people who mock it (sit in the seat of mockers)? Should we listen to their counsel?

Rach asked a question yesterday about how do we know what we are convicted about, have ideas about, our traditions - how we do know if we have gotten them from the world or from God (dress code - modesty, alcohol, worship, etc). I think the main answer to that would be is if we can find biblical evidence for it (not proof texting something) - but accurate Bible translation - of a passage where we get our traditions and convictions and "laws" about. Should we ever usurp the authority of Scripture?

God - may I be a person that is blessed and fruitful - one who taked great delight in your Wod. I do not want to be something comparitively worthless. Only you can work that in me, I can not do it without the Spirit's help.

No comments: