Monday, July 31, 2006

Dying to Self


Today I have read and enjoyed Ps 26 (with excitement that tomorrow is 27). Currently I am listening to Chris Tomlin's "Take My Life" - its an amazing song. Slightly different then the hymn, but the same words with a little bridge built in.
Frances Havergal (who wrote the hymn) was brilliant. She memorized the Psalms, most of the NT, and Isaiah - probably in the original text because she knew Hebrew and 2 other languages besides Welsh. No wonder one of the lines talks about letting God have her intellect. He had given her so much of it.
There are a couple of favorite - yet crucifying to Kim - lines this hymn:
Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Consecrated - what does it mean...to devote to a purpose with or as if with deep solemnity or dedication (that is from good ol' Mr. Webster). My life - not for my cause or my will - but only for God's...
Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
These are the two most convicting in the hymn. It shall be no longer mine - that is death to Kim - live to Christ. I won't be on the throne anymore - my heart will be a sacred place for Him and Him alone. Oh, how hard it is - God do this in me. As you did it in David as he pleaded for it in Ps 26
Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind
Verses right after that:
I do not sit with men of falsehood, nor do I consort with hypocrites. 5 I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked.
Does that sound like another psalm somewhere before - hmmmm, Ps 1? It it is to a T. You would almost wonder why God would have to repeat Himself - could it be that we haven't gotten it yet?

On a more northern note - its been an exciting week in Whiteplains. Christ the King church just north of The City. The picture at the top is the three pastors and a group from GA that came up there to help them this week. They have had many new faces, one coming to Christ, more people at the expository teaching of the Word in small groups in the pastors' homes. All this outside of the Bible belt. Exciting times - God lead me...Answer me - honest urgency. Open doors - wherever you would want me to go.

No comments: