Friday, July 21, 2006

A Quiet Reprieve

I am enjoying a much needed quiet moment for a little while before I have to be at the rehearsal and subsequent dinner till late. I'm glad I get a litle reprieve - even though I'm enjoying the day so far.
I'm in Ps 17 today - very hard to stay my mind on Scripture today when the sin of pride is so prevelant today. God - please allow my mind to focus on you and your glory for just a little bit of time today - right now in this quiet restful place (my loveseat in my living room with Chris Rice Living Room Sessions playing). Thank you for this space of quietness...
I wonder if David (before writing this psalm) had been going over the past few days/hours in his life to see if he had done anything wrong. I wonder if he spent time in confession and then cried out this song to God. He knows that his pureness only comes from Him - his refuge and beautiful inheritance (as we saw in 16). But, I wonder if he is just in a dry place and is not sensing the Spirit's power in his life or kingship and is wondering what he has done wrong.
I love verse 7
Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand. The little note at the bottom of this says: distinguish me by your love. May others see a difference in me that is only the love of Christ. May my enemies (the enemies of the cross) see something different in me - your Love and Spirit.
The other one I love is 15
As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness. The only way we stand in God's presence and behold His righteousness is by Christ becoming sin so that we migh become the righteousness of God. David says - when I awake...That means every moment he is awake, not one single minute gone from his day - let me be satisfied with your likeness. May you conform me to your image and may I be satisfied with just that. Just that - isn't that enough? Oh, God, mark it in me!

No comments: