Monday, May 21, 2007

the Constant Gardner

Ps 119.75
"I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me."

I haven't even seen the above mentioned movie - but I thought the title when dwelling on this verse.
I love the psalmist's almost sarcastic, underhanded tone (or at least that's how I read it). Its almost like: God, I know you are good in everything you do - and you will work something good from this pain you are inflicting on me. But, do we really like pain?

We perceive by experience that God is righteous in all He does. In his faithfulness - that faithfulness that makes him true to his very nature - tills me, cultivates me, browbeats me to humble me when I get too big for my britches or high and mighty. And what does cultivating the ground do - gets the bad stuff out so good stuff can grow!
Any gardner will tell you that you must prune and till and cultivate - or the roses or veggies or anything won't work that well or taste good or look pretty.
I think of my friend's, Bobby, back yard. Its amazing. Flowers, roses, blackberries, apples, blueberries, lychees, grapefruit, oranges - and that isn't all. But, over the years of watching his yard take shape and partaking of the goodness from it - I know he puts in a tons of work. He is out there watering, pruning, in and out of season. No wonder his fruit tastes so good and his flowers are so pretty. He works at it.
Don't you want God to work on you to cultivate you into something flavorful and pretty?

1 comment:

Bobby Crum said...

man who is that guy - we've got to meet :) bc