Friday, May 04, 2007

O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E

You would think by the time one is 30 this would get easier - but oh, no, it doesn't. Obedience was difficult this week - and it will continue to be difficult - but it still must be done. As one Pastor in SC puts it:

You must be careful to obey all the commands of the Lord your God, following His instructions in every detail. Stay on the path that the Lord your God has commanded you to follow.. (Deuteronomy 5:32-33) In these verses, Moses teaches on the importance of discipline, detail, & direction in our obedience to the Lord. He first writes, be careful to obey. This means that obedience to the Lord is not something that happens easily, automatically, or accidentally. True obedience requires more than just desire and good intentions. It requires discipline. We must intentionally plan to obey God. We must set our minds to obey God. So implied in this is that there will always be obstacles or challenges to obeying God which equals opportunities to disobey God. (emphasis mine)

This really hit home to me b.c so often I put tv above him, or outside reading, or shopping, or exercising - but what God demands of me (only by HIS grace) is that I am careful to obey - set my mind on things above (Col 3).
Then you know what, we fail. We live by the flesh. We aren't perfect (why is that always our excuse). It is true - but God says if we walk by the Spirit we will not live by the flesh. So, if I am walking in the Spirit - then I will not overeat, lash out, be sarcastic, speed, spend too much money, sleep that extra hour, be lazy, and my list could go on and on.

Is obedience hard for you?

No comments: