Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Watchful Attention

Ps 119.9
"How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your Word."

I had trouble just picking one today, but this one won out. I figured if I want to present myself pure to my husband one day on our wedding day - and to present myself pure to my Jesus - then shouldn't I know what the Bible says about doing that?

This young man the psalmist talks about is a learner, student, servant. One is always in a position of submission and learning. Doesn't have anything to do with how much I know about anything - I'm still a servant and learner of Christ.

Pure - first I thought it had to do with our justification in the finished work of Christ on the cross, but nope. It has to do with the morality of life. Our purity in the manner in which we walk (morally). It is also translucent. Pure and translucent - like these new lightbulbs that we have in our dining room - the kind that are supposed to last like 7 years - hmmm. I think they just want more money. They are more expensive - but I digress.

Guard - to save, protect, be attentive. This is "watchful attention". Like Ron said - we have to be diligent and careful in our obedience to the Word. We can't just think obedience is going to happen - plan obedience, be watchful and attentive to the Words of God. But, this also is the word used when God told Adam to "keep the garden". It was more of a personal space guarding then the border of the US guarding. There is a difference. We are to guard our hearts, minds, souls - not everyone elses.

So - do you actively pursue obedience and are you on the active watch to keep your way pure?

No comments: