Tuesday, May 15, 2007

trampling the Word

Here I am at a hotel in Richmond - attending a genealogy conference. Drove up here - loving the VA landscape - it is so gorgeous. Definitely in the top 3 states to live in (after FL and GA). :)
But, asking some prayers of God right now - waiting patiently and obediently (albeit it is hard) for the answers. I have been pondering these verses for three days now and am just now getting to picking a couple to focus on - I love these verses. I'll combine them...good stuff...

Ps 119.41, 45
"Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord, your salvation according to your promise. And I shall walk in a wide place, for I have sought your precepts."

God's steadfast love is not burdensome - it is a light thing (not one to be taken lightly though. I actually want it to be overwhelming - not something I can take lightly. But, I always think of the steadfast love of God as being something as part of his nature. Something of HIS covenant - faithful promise - something that is tied in with the very being and nature of God. That is something that can't be negated. HIS promise is tied in with WHO HE IS. That is namely his salvation - his mercies. But in here it is also victory and deliverance. I would like to think that can apply to earthly situations as well. But, know everything is worked together for the good of those who are called according to HIS SON.

The wide plce - the broad place - was the same as used with the Israelites that Moses would lead them to - out of Egypt, bondage, into a wide place, a place flowing with milk and honey - beneficial for them. God please don't let the bondage last 40 years. But, the second half of the psalm is I have sought your precepts. This sought is a cool word...to seek with care, inquire with a demand, to beat or to trample. Literally - beat the Word till you get an answer. How often do we seek others advice first before we take things to God and find His answers in the Word? Now - we do have wise Christian friends who will hopefully guide us with answers found in the Word - but this Psalm is telling us to trample the Word for answers - "terere libros" - to study and learn.

So - regarding situations that you are needing an answer for, guidance for - SEEK THE WORD - that is what it is here for - for us to hear from God and relish in his steadfast, zealous, love for us!

No comments: