Monday, May 28, 2007

schedules and assumed authority

I've been thinking a lot about schedules this weekend. Since i don't have a regular job and don't have to be anywhere a set time and set days (mostly) it has been hard to really have anything scheduled (qt, exercise, meals, etc). I remember back in the day at Camp Sonlight we would have everything scheduled: lights out, meals and snacks, exercise (recreation), bible study time, pre-meal devotions (vespers), etc. It was great! I didn't have to question anything so nothing really took discipline - just obedience.
What brought this about was watching Dead Poet's Society and Emperor's Club this weekend for my class at church (OC). They were both set in boy's schools (prep schools) where there schedule was set for them - oh, the days.
Now, you may be thinking how can this fit in to a psalm? Oh, but it does...
Ps 119.133
"Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me."

Basically - make my daily life - everything - be a habit of staying in your Word (or discerning every thing I do by light of your Word). And don't let me - give authority - to any sin to be over me. I want you to be the only Authority in my life - let no idolatry (selfishness, pride, materialism, gluttony, laziness, seeking approval from others) have POWER over me.

No comments: