Monday, May 21, 2007

Not Elmer's Glue Stick

Ps 119.70 (after 69 which plays a part) is a unique one that comes alive when looking at the original languages. Hopefully come next year I won't have to keep looking at blue letter bible or asking Rach tons of Hebrew questions. SE is offering hebrew online and I think I will take it - or at least audit it.
"Their heart in unfeeling like fat, but I delight in your law."

Who are the "their" - they are the ones from 69 who smear the psalmist with lies - who glue deception to the writer. He is the most excellent at grossness or fat. Even if you think of regular fat...it makes you fluffy where you can't feel stuff.

BUT...that is a term of contradiction or opposition of the first part. So, while the insolent (or proud) are like that, I want to be the humble of the humble and be able to come before God and hear his instruction. But, if my heart is unfeeling like fat, than the instruction of the Lord won't stick to me.

Delight is to be smeared. So, the same (but opposite) of the insolent. Their heart is smeared or glued with lies, while my heart, the psalmist's heart, is smeared or blinded by the instruction of the Lord.

Does your heart even know the instruction of God well enough to be blinded by it? To live in opposition of the proud?

No comments: