Monday, May 28, 2007

Pursuit of Holiness

As summer officially begins today: I'm setting a new goal. Two books a week for the summer (through Labor Day). I can only think of two weeks that it might be difficult - a week where there is a wedding and a week of a conference. Beside those (I still gotta get in one) I need to do two. There is so many more valuable things (like reading) I could be doing rather than watching tv. So, my first book is:
The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. He has also written Trusting God, Disciplines of Grace, Practive of Godliness, and others. Very readable and very convicting. Here are some of the main thoughts I got from the book:
"Sin shall not be our master" - this is what I read tonight is Ps 119.133 (see next post).
"As we grow in the Christian life we face increasing danger of spiritual pride. We know the correct doctrines,...but we may not see the poverty of our own character. Rev 3.17".
"It is hypocritcal to pray for victory over our sins yet be careless in our intake of the Word of God." - Again, this is evident in Ps 119.133
"If we sin, it is because we choose to sin, not because we lack the ability to say no to temptation." This is a big concept found in modern psychotherapy. SAY NO!!!
"There must be an attitude of diligent obedience in every area if we are to succeed in mortifying any one expressions of sin."

Another good book to read on this topic: Mortification of Sin by Puritan author John Owen. This is most definitely a thicker read than Bridges' book, but it needs to be read.

Future books: Feminine Appeal (thanks for making me want to read it again, Elizabeth), Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas, and Idols of the Heart by Elyse Fitzpatrick (yes, JC, I still have this book of yours, I'll mail it to TX to you when I'm done!). So, I'm not quite practicing the whole chronological snobbery thing by Piper and Lewis, but most of my books are packed away. I'll do better in the future. I am doing a decade thing though:
Pursuit: 1978
Appeal: 2003
Sacred: 2000
Idols: 2001
(ok, so, sorta)...

Do you have any books you think I should read: let me know...

No comments: