Wednesday, June 21, 2006

i shall be satisfied with your likeness...

Ps. 17.15 - that is where the title of the blog comes from today. I have read it a couple of times today.
As David said on Sunday - God's will for our lives is our sanctification (the likeness of God) - so we may be more like Christ.
Just as Sacred Marriage says about marriage: not to make you happy, but to make you holy - the same goes for God. He has not come to make us happy - but to make us holy - sanctified - conformed to His Son's sufferings. Will joy come from that, will pleasures comes from that - by all means - Ps 16.11 - "at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Anyway, I have also been reading that we need to be EXPECTANT when we come to the Word. God gave us the Word for a reason - expect something from it. Veronica and I would always laugh when we would come into Bible study this past semester and say, "wow, that was a really good book" talking about one of the minor prophets. Why wouldn't it be good - God wrote it. Its not only good - its perfect!
So, this morning I read Ps 11-20, but then by lunch two things had been brought to my attention. I came expectant to the Word (those same psalms) in light of these two things - knowing God had Words for those situations.
One was for friends of mine who are having complications with their pregnancy. God gave so much encouragement - and I not only kept it to myself - but I prayed and then emailed them the verses that I prayed for them. How much better to pray the very Words of God back to Him.
The second was trusting in God. My friend and I had been emailing back and forth about that and disappointment as I was sharing with her some things that had happened this week. My trust in God seems to go right out the window sometimes when I don't get what I want when I want it.
God opened His Word to me: Prov 21.1, 2, 8; Ps 13.5-6; Ps 16.5-7, 11; Ps 17.6-7, Ps 19.8. All of these verse hit me in regards to trust and what God has said He will do. These are His promises that He has bestowed upon me because I am His child. They are mine to hold.
So, as I sit here, just having listened to two sermons on sex (God's way), and currently am listening to Brooklyn Tab on iTunes - (actually Jason Crabb when the Crabb Family was visiting Brooklyn Tab). He visits with us - one of those ways is through His Word. That is where I'll be for a few more minutes.
Come expectant to the Word!

No comments: