Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Where is the line?

As I've been reading and meditating on the first 10 Psalms today - something one of my girls brought up last night keeps coming back to my mind. "I don't know where the line is?" What she was meaning...
Legalism - discipline
Alcohol - no alcohol
yearning for the Bible - watching some tv
Chilling and not doing anything - being constantly busy with the work of the gospel
Content - Asking of the Father
Humble - Proud of what God has done in your life

It all comes down to GRACE - JESUS

Ps. 1
What would it look like if I delighted in the Word of God (like my mentor) and meditated on it all day long (day and night) - (my mentor has verses posted on index cards all around her house). How radically different would my life be? What would that possibly even look like?
Ps 4
How convicting here the word of God: "O sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach? How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception?" What is worthless is my life? How do I reproach God's honor?
Ps 5 (Repeats what the main answer is above)
"But as for me, by your abundant lovingkindness I will enter your house." It isn't based on how much we study the Bible, or how often we pray, fast, or evangelize. Our standing in front of God is based on the finished work of Christ on the cross - and that is it. If it were anything else - we'd all be going to hell - because of SIN.
Ps 9
"I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart, I will tell of all your wonders. I will be glad and exult in you, I will sing praise to our name, O Most High." Here is my question of balance today. It says here that I will praise HIM with my whole heart. Praise him for what He has done. So, why do I come before Him wanting more and more things or stuff or things I think I should have when I should be praising HIm. He has given me everything I need for contentment, sanctification, and godliness.

I also read Ps 8 today and thought of how much I love creation and the skies and thunderstorms. But, oh, how He loves us so much more than all the many stars in the sky. In NYC it is hard to see the stars b/c of all the lights that are in the city - but how much more does the Creator of it all look down upon the people of that City (as well as the one I live in), weap for their Sin, love them through the Cross, and hold His Sovereign hand over everything - Ps 2.8

No comments: