Friday, June 23, 2006

Wait - such an ugly word

That is one Christian 4-letter word. Don't be all spiritual and say "Oh, I just love to wait" cause I would question your integrity and honesty. Even though the old saying goes, "good things come to those who wait", I still don't like waiting. "A watched pot never boils." Ok, really - the pot boils just as fast (just have a clear lid so you can watch it with the lid on it - that's my cooking tip for today).
Some questions were answered by a conversation I had last night. It was unexpected, but good. But, I woke up late this morning (discipline - I know) and spent my lunch hour reading the Proverbs and the Psalms for today.
The proverbs (22,23) were exceptional today - speaking loud and clear.
What are some qualities I want in my life: favor, a good name (v 1), humility and fear of the Lord (v4), purity of heart and gracious speech (seasoned with salt) (v11)
Riches are very deceitful - the wise one outlines this in the beginning of 23.
Education is very important to me...and here I find two verses that speak to that...
Prv 23.12, 17
Apply your heart to instruction and your ear to words of knowledge. Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the Lord all the day.
Ps 34.11 went right along with that continued theme.
Come, O Children, listen to me, I will teach you the fear of the Lord."

And this whole idea of refuge that David speaks of so often. It goes right along with WAIT (the bad word for the day). David was the King of Israel, so of course there were many wars and he seemed to be constantly at battle with some people. But, if he had not waited on the Lord to say "go, get out of this cave, or bush, or covering), than David would possibly have been killed or destroyed. Just as it was with Moses in Ex 33 or 34 - "Lord I don't want to go unless you give your blessing, go with us". I would rather be in the refuge of a holy God - than to be out in the open with sinners by myself. I may have everything I want - but I wouldn't have God's blessing - and I wouldn't be in the will of God.

Those are my random thoughts for today. More on that personal reading tonight when I get to Richmond. Going to DC tomorrow for shopping in Georgetown and the Capital BBQ Festival (free lunch).

No comments: