Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Mr. Stanley and Mr. Chambers

Well, Raleigh people are happy (and long-time Hartford people probably are too). The Canes won the cup - only fitting they do it on home ice. Now, awaiting the next year the Canes are not a championship team and we will see no more Cane flags on cars, people will take off their Cane jerseys and save their hard earned money (maybe for a Panther game if they are good that year). Ah, the joy of living around fair-weathered fans. In this state - two sports reign - ACC basketball and car racing - that's about it.
Now onto something better than hockey...
I am studying (again) the disciplines of the spiritual life (using Don Whitney's book) with some of my college girls this summer. It has been a convicting and overwhelming study (as Jenn said last night). But, as I read this morning on Oswald...he clarified our helpless state and how no matter how good we get at the disciplines - it will never help our standing in view of God's grace.
"The fact that I am trying to be right with God is a sign that I am rebelling against the Atonement. "Lord, I will purify my heart if You will answer my prayer; I will walk rightly if You will help me." I cannot make myself right with God, I cannot make my life perfect; I can only be right with God if I accept the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ as an absolute gift. Am I humble enough to accept it?"

No comments: