Sunday, June 18, 2006

Romans, USOpen, shopping...


Well, it was a good Sunday.
David preached a good sermon today on a familiar passage - Rom 12.1-2. He apparantly has already gone through an overview of the first 11 (theology) chapters of Romans. Then, Paul switches sides...this is what I like to say - "life must imitate theology, not theology imitate life". In another words - practice what you preach.
God's will is perfect - no matter how much you don't like it or would rather it be different.
Another passage he brought up was another "therefore". The end of Romans 7 goes so nicely into Romans 8.
21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. [3] 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you [4] free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, [5] he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
What a great truth - think about it.
Now, onto shopping and eating - that filled my afternoon. I hung out with Rachael... That is her at the top in Linville Falls in November for her birthday. We went to the mall, the Champps because I wanted to watch the golf - but apparently the Cup was more important (like anyone in Raleigh cares about the Cup). I digress...then we continued our shopping. Then I had to go work a couple of hours - learn some things... (let's see how much I retain).
Then I rushed home to catch Phil's disappointing 18th hole at Winged Foot. Oh, he was in the lead when I left Duke - but then that ball just wouldn't do what it was supposed to. So, a guy from down under won it - Phil should have taken it - but it was his to lose. Now, onto the next major.
Anyway, from Romans to Phil...a good Sunday.

No comments: