Sunday, September 04, 2005

Rev 1-3

Even though I have taken a class on this I do not claim to be an expert, much more not even a novice. Lord, I pray for understanding and increase my grasp and handle on my eschatology and what is going to happen when you return. Give me glimpses of what life needs to be like in light of that soon coming. I'll echo John's prayer at the beginning of this: Come Lord Jesus.
1.3 - "blessed are those who here, AND who keep what is written in it." not only is it unprofitable just to hear, (this is something that is said throughout Scripture and the next three chapters), but also it is even meant, that you can't hear and not do. We will be happy when we do what is written in this Word.
1.5-8 This is what John saw and wrote about Jesus: the faithful witness (of the Father - in the gospel of John), firstborn of the dead (Col 1), ruler of the kings of the earth (Ps 2), loves us (John 3), freed us from our sins by His blood (John 8), made us a kingdom (Heb), coming with clouds (all the pictures we see in churches or on felt boards), every eye will see him (Phil 2),
1.7b - All tribes of the earth will wail (or mourn) on account of him. Even so. Amen. What the end of this says literally is even so, so be it. Well, this is going to happen, so let it happen. God gets all the glory - even so be it!
1.8 - One of my fave attributes of God - his eternalness. Alpha and Omega - that means nothing is outside of your grasp or range of power.
1.9c - John was on the island due to the word God and testimony of Jesus. That means he was exiled because He was preaching the gospel. If he hadn't been preaching - then he would have missed out on one of the greatest revelations of all times. Be faithful in the little things
1.16 - JD pointed this out today - out of Jesus' mouth came a two-edged sword. This is exactly how the Word, the Bible, is referred to in the Word - a sharp two-edged sword. Jesus is the Word.
The churches:
Ephesus: Paul had visited and ministered and written a letter. Jesus starts good, talking of their patience and their ousting of false teachers (that meant they had to know true doctrine). But...they lost their first love. Maybe they got so wrapped up in doctrine, that they forget just to love Jesus.
Smyrna: He told them that even though they suffered, more suffering was coming and not to be afraid of it. "Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life" If we are faithful and conquer in Him this life, than we will not taste the second death. Praise Jesus!
Pergamum: Even in a rough city, they did not renounce the name of Jesus. He says they do two sins, both against the body: food eaten to idols, and sexual impurity. Hidden manna - in the wilderness God provided for their daily need with manna - what to look forward to "the hidden manna"
Thyatira: Works, love, faith, service, patience - they also seemed to get better with time - the latter exceeded. He didn't like false teachers in the cities - He will punish them. "I am he who searches mind and heart."
Sardis: Doesn't start out good here - he knows they are dead. "I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God" - condemning words out of the two-edged sword.
Philly: "I know you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name." There is much power in that!
Laodicea: "So because you are lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth" God, I do not want to be your spit. That is gross - do not let me be lukewarm. Keep the fervency for your name and your glory - only you can do that. "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline" - look to Zech and the thoughts on that. Jesus wants intimacy with us: give up sin Kim so that He might have it.

No comments: