Monday, February 13, 2006

To all the Rogers in the world

I wrote this originally as an email this morning to my worship pastor at Anastasia Baptist who I worked under as his assistant in St. Augustine in youth ministry. This took place my freshman year of college, spring semester. Please stop and pray for Roger - wherever he may be. I don't even remember his last name

I just finished the first chapter of Piper's new book God is the Gospel and read a paragraph (excerpt from a JC Ryle sermon) that made me think of a middle school kid. This is when we were still in the old building, I had just started helping out and we had just split the jr/sr high and were still really small. You were up leading worship. There was this kid named Roger sitting off beside me and he said something like "this is boring" and I said something like this is what we'll be doing in heaven," and he said well that will be boring too. I knew then that He didn't know Christ, and I didn't seem him at all after that year, so I don't know where he is today, but this is what Ryle had to say:

"But alas how little fir for heaven are many who talk of going to heaven when they die, while they manifestly have no saving faith, and no real acquaintance with Christ. You give Christ no honor here. You have no communion with Him. You do not love Him. Alas, what could you do in heaven? It would be no place for you. Its joys would be no joys for you. Its happiness would be a happiness into whic you could not enter. Its employments would be a weariness and burden to your heart. Oh repent and change before it is too late."

Oh for Roger and all the others we know who do not know of this great surpassing treasure.

No comments: